Patent and Trademark
Get the Information You Need to Protect Your Intellectual Property
Wednesday January 28, 2015
Aiea Public Library Auditorium
Hawaii State Library presents a free all-day patent and trademark seminar for inventors, entrepreneurs, legal professionals, educators, students and the general public. The featured speakers will include representatives from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Hawaii Small Business Development Center, High Technology Development Corporation (HTDC) and Business Action Center. This will be a rare and unique opportunity for learning step-by-step strategies for conducting preliminary U.S. patent and trademark searches from experts rarely available in Hawaii to avoid costly infringement lawsuits later, and discover local resources for inventors and entrepreneurs.
Planned sessions for the seminar include:
Overview of Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights and Trade Secrets
Conducting a Preliminary U.S. Patent Search Using USPTO Databases
Conducting a Preliminary Federal Trademark Search Using USPTO Databases
Local Resources for Inventors and Entrepreneurs
PubWEST and PubEAST: Tools to Enhance Your Search Productivity
The robust patent search tools, PubWEST and PubEAST are the same public versions as the ones available on workstations at the USPTO Public Search Facility in Alexandria, VA. They can reduce search time by 50% and are available only in the Patent and Trademark Resource Centers like Hawaii State Library Federal Documents Section.
The seminar will be held at the new Aiea Public Library in the auditorium. The program is open and free to the public, but registration is required. To register, call the library at (808) 586-3477.
Primary Patent and Trademark Resources
We are pleased to introduce two robust patent search tools, PubEAST and PubWEST now available at Hawaii State Library. We are a designated Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC) authorized by 35 U.S.C. §12 to support the diverse intellectual property needs of the public in Hawaii.
As a PTRC member, Hawaii State Library has the privilege and opportunity to provide free public access to PubEAST and PubWEST. PubWEST and PubEAST are the public versions of Examiner Automated Search Tool (PubEAST) and Web-based Examiner Search Tool (PubWEST) used by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office patent examiners. They are the same versions offered at the USPTO Public Search Facility (PSF) in Alexandria, Virginia and portals to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office patent databases.
PubEAST and PubWEST have many advantages over the online patent databases available at www.uspto.gov. They save a great deal of time and money by facilitating faster and more powerful patent searches. Both databases allow text searching for U.S. patents issued from 1920 up to the most recent weekly updates as well as for foreign patent abstracts and documents. They also support more complex Boolean, field and proximity searching. Furthermore, multiple databases can be searched simultaneously if databases have common fields. However, patents issued from 1790 to 1920 are searchable only by patent number, issue date and classification.
PubEAST and PubWEST include the following databases:
Databases Features USPAT: United States Patents
• Full text search for the US patents, 1971 to present.
• Patent number, publication date and current classification search only for pre-1971 US patents back to 1790 PGPub: Pre-grant Publications
• U.S. utility patent applications that have been pending for 18 months USOCR: US Optical Character Recognition
• US patents issued between 1920-1970 plus those from 1971-1976 that are missing from USPAT file
EPO: European Patent Office
• English language abstracts of European Patent Office (EPO) and World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) documents
• Full text of U.S. patents since 1790
JPO: Japan Patent Office
• English language abstracts of Japanese patent applications from October 1976 FPRS: Foreign Patent Retrieval System
• English abstract of EPO, JPO, and Derwent files, plus foreign patent images.
PubEAST features BRS for text and IS&R for number searching, easy customization of display formats, tagging records, and fast browsing capabilities with the potential to save 50% of search time.
PubWEST offers structured searching for novice users as well as freeform searching for advanced searchers. It is a server-based gateway to access the same databases as PubEAST with easy downloading options. PubEAST and PubWEST will also be available at Lihue Public Library and Kahului Public Library.
The following is the contact information for availability:
Hawaii State Library
Federal Documents Section (2d floor)
478 S. King St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Lihue Public Library
4344 Hardy St.
Lihue, HI 96766
Kahului Public Library
90 School St.
Kahului, HI 96732
Additional Patent and Trademark Resources
- Archived Cassis DVD database of all issued patents, published patent applications and all registered trademarks up to 2011 Week 49.
- Archived Cassis DVD database or print copies, up to August 2011, of:
- Index of Classification for Patents
- Patent Classification Definitions
- Manual of Patent Examining Procedure
- Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure
- Design Search Code Manual
- Patent Indexes from 1920 to 2000
- Trademark Indexes from 1927 to 1992 and 1994
- Patent Classification Orders from 695 to 1912: June 7, 2011
- Patent and Trademark Official Gazettes from January 1872 to Volume 1373, Number 4, December 27, 2011
The Federal Document Section staff will assist patent searchers by providing instructions in the use of various search tools available in the section. Only preliminary patent and trademark searches can be conducted with the resources located at the Federal Documents Section. The section staff is not qualified to give legal advice of any kind, including interpreting laws and regulations; performing searches for users; or offering opinions about the search strategy effectiveness. No conclusions should be inferred concerning the validity of any patent, design or trademark from any assistance provided by the library staff.
Anyone wishing further assistance will be directed to a list of registered patent attorneys and agents who have specialized knowledge and experience in conducting patent or trademark searches. This roster contains current information filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Not all attorneys and agents listed on this roster will service new public clients.
Selected Section Holdings
- Patent and Trademark Information at the Hawaii State Library (pdf) [383KB]
Related Federal Documents Section Guides
- A Guide to Patents & Related Resources at the Hawaii State Library (pdf) [451KB] (publisher) [264KB]